If you have a problem with a bank or other financial institution, contact the Federal Reserve for help.

"How do I..."

file a complaint?

First, try to settle the problem directly with your bank or financial institution. This may involve contacting senior bank management or the bank's customer service department. If you cannot resolve the problem with your bank, you should file a complaint online with Federal Reserve Consumer Help.

get answers to other questions?

Question aboutWhere to get more information
Actions of the Federal Reserve Board (Applications received and acted on, enforcement actions, etc.) Actions of the Board - Index of Releases
Business Start-Ups
Business Legitimacy
Search for your state in USA.gov. On the state homepage, type "business" in the search box.
Buying Coins U.S. Mint
Consumer Credit Counseling (for credit not related to home loans) National Foundation for Credit Counseling
Consumer Credit Counseling (for credit related to home loans) HOPE NOW
Consumer Price Index and Other Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index
Contacting Other Federal Agencies Federal Reserve System: Federal Agency Contacts
Economic Issues FRB San Francisco: Ask Dr. Econ
FRB New York: Research Library
Failed Banks FDIC: Failed Bank List
Fannie Mae
Freddie Mac
Federal Grants Federal Government Grants
Federal Reserve System Federal Reserve Education.org 
Federal Tax Information Internal Revenue Service
Financial Institution Routing Transit Numbers (or ABA Numbers) Federal Reserve System: National Information Center
Flood Insurance Amounts, Limits, Estimates FEMA: Flood Maps, Insurance and Information
Foreign Currency Exchange Rates Federal Reserve Statistical Release: H-10 - Foreign Exchange Rates
How to Opt Out of Information Sharing and Unwanted Mail and Marketing Consumer Action Website: Privacy Protection and Identity Theft
Consumer Action Website: Telemarketing and Unwanted Mail
Income Tax Help Getting a Grip on Income Tax Season (CFPB)
Internet Crimes, Frauds, Complaints FBI: Internet Crime Complaint Center
Interest Rates Federal Reserve Statistics: Releases and Historical Data
Federal Reserve Statistical Release: H-15 - Selected Weekly Interest Rates, Release Dates
Federal Reserve Release: Commercial Paper Rates and Outstanding
Obtaining a Lien Release From a Failed Institution FDIC: Obtaining a Lien Release
Providing Feedback to the Federal Reserve Board Federal Reserve Board: Contact Us
Replacing Mutilated Currency
Buying New Currency
Contaminated Currency and Coin
Treasury Department: Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Requests for Information Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Federal Reserve Board: Freedom of Information Office
Savings Bonds and Treasury Securities Treasury Direct
Social Security Benefits Checks, Payments, Overdraft Fees Social Security Online
Unclaimed Property National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators
U.S. Postal Service: Mail Frauds and Scams U.S. Postal Inspectors
Other Frequently Asked Questions Federal Reserve System: FAQs

spot a fraud or scam?

There are many "easy money" or "get rich quick" scams, including some that use the Federal Reserve System name to promise loans or grants.  Some scams originate outside of the country. Regardless, beware of deals or schemes that sound too good to be true or that require you to pay or make a deposit to obtain free money or merchandise. Four good places to start your search are the Frauds and Scams section of this website, Lookstoogoodtobetrue.com, which is sponsored by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the United States Postal Service (USPS), and the Federal Trade Commission Scam Alerts website. You should also check the website of the Attorney General in your state of residence.  If you believe that you are a victim of a scam, you should contact local law enforcement.

Learn more about frauds and scams at the Loan Modification Scam Alert website.

dispute an error on my credit report?

You may dispute an error on your credit report by contacting either the credit reporting company or the company that provided you the information. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau provides tips about what to submit with your dispute, contact information for the nationwide credit reporting companies, and options about what to do if your dispute is not resolved to your satisfaction.

get help if I cannot make my mortgage payments?

If you are having trouble making your mortgage payments, one of the most important things you can do is call your bank or mortgage company and ask for help. The federal banking agencies encourage banks and financial institutions to work with consumers who may be unable to make their payments on their home loans. In addition, the HOPE NOW website contains a list of the nation's largest mortgage lenders and servicers and who to contact for help or you can call the HOPE NOW hotline 1-888-995-HOPE. Also, mortgage crisis prevention help is available through free Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) housing counselors. You can find counselors in your area at HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies or by calling the HOPE NOW hotline (1-888-995-HOPE). Finally, check our Foreclosure page for more resources.

get a loan, deposit account or grant from the Federal Reserve Bank?

Federal Reserve Banks do not provide grants or banking services, such as offering deposit accounts or lending money, to consumers. The Federal Reserve provides certain financial services to the U.S. Government, depository institutions, and other financial entities. Learn more about the Federal Reserve and Federal Reserve Banks on the Federal Reserve Education website.  Also be aware and learn more about scams related to loans, deposit accounts or grants by visiting the Frauds and Scams section of this website.

know if my bank is safe?

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) will help you determine whether your bank is federally insured and the exact amount of your deposit insurance. If you do business with a credit union, you may contact the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) for the same information. Generally, individual depositors are insured up to $250,000.

get a free copy of my credit report?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires all consumer reporting agencies that operate nationally to give you a free copy of your credit report annually, when you ask for one. The nation's three largest consumer reporting agencies have set up a website, a toll free telephone number, and a mailing address that you can use to order your free annual report:

voice my opinion about federal consumer protection regulations?

The Federal Reserve Board of Governors (the Board) writes certain consumer protection regulations and asks for public comment on proposed changes.  To see a list of the Board's current regulatory proposals, click here.  All comments received are posted on the Board's Web site and are considered by Board staff as they make final changes to regulations.  You may also provide comments by calling the Board's comment line at (202) 974-7008.  Please note that any comments you post on the Board's public Web site will include your name and address, which may be viewed by any Internet user and may be accessed through Web search engines.

Several federal consumer protection laws are implemented by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  The Bureau seeks public comment on proposed regulatory changes before they are made.  You may see a list of Bureau regulations open for comment and submit comments by clicking here.  You may also provide comments by calling the Bureau at (855) 411-2372.

know if my mortgage company is licensed?

The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System Consumer Access (NMLS Consumer Access) is a free service for consumers to confirm that the mortgage company with whom they wish to conduct business is licensed in their state. NMLS Consumer Access contains licensing and registration information about loan originators.

get information on the interest rate used to calculate my loan payments?

For mortgages and other loans, the loan documents you received at closing must state the interest rate and whether it will change.  If the interest rate may change, the document must state when changes will occur and how the changes are calculated.

If you cannot find interest rate information in your loan documents or credit card materials, call your lender. Contact information is usually found on your monthly statement or in your payment book.